Are you setting up your new PC, or does your old one need to update its drivers? Whatever the reason may be, updating your drivers the traditional way is not a viable option anymore.
Back in the day, it used to be such a hassle searching for CDs of each driver individually to install them. But now you don’t have to do it and also it is kind of hard to get those CDs nowadays. By now, we have established that installing motherboard drivers with a CD is out of the question.
So, you must be wondering how to install motherboard drivers without cd? Well, in this article, you will get to know just that! It’s a pretty quick and straightforward process if done right. But before getting into it, let’s take a look at the drivers you will be installing.
List Of Drivers That You Must Install
Following are some of the drivers that you will have to install, and we have explained the importance of each of them.
Graphics Driver: it’s pretty evident from the name that this driver is responsible for your computer’s graphics (visual elements). Without it, the visuals won’t function properly.
Chipset Driver: These are instructions given by the software that guides the Operating System to function correctly. It also instructs the OS to communicate with the motherboard.
Network Driver: This driver deals with the network connections in your OS, from selecting a network to connect to it.
Audio Driver: With this driver, you will get to operate the audio system of your computer. Otherwise, you won’t be able to use a mic or speakers.
Now that you know which drivers are meant to be installed let’s walk you through the process of finding your motherboard drivers.
How to Install Motherboard Drivers Without CD?
To find the motherboard drivers, you need the name and model number of your motherboard. After that, you can follow the steps mentioned below to get the official motherboard drivers.
- Go to Google and type in the name and model number like “_____ drivers.” A few results will pop up; look for the ones from official websites. For instance, if MSI manufactures your motherboard, then click on search results from www.msi.com.
- After clicking on one of the links, you will get redirected to the site. Here, select the “drivers tab” to see a list of operating systems.
- From this list, select the OS that you have on your computer.
- Now, you will get a list of drivers suitable for your specified OS. You just have to select the drivers you want and download them.
- After the drivers are downloaded, you just have to save it on the local or USB drive, and you will be good to go.
How To Install Motherboard Drivers | Step-By-Step
You have done all the work just by finding the drivers; all you need to do now is install them. Some might think that the installation process is rather complex. But you don’t have to worry as we have simplified it for you.
Here is a thorough guide to help you in installing drivers for the motherboard.
- Locate the file of your downloaded drivers. It will be a zip file, so you will have to right-click and select “extract here” from the dropdown list. After this, the file will unzip in the exact location.
Note: You can use the Unzip tool of your OS or WinRAR for extracting the files
- Go to the Unzipped file and search for the setup folder, which will have the extension “.exe.” Now, double-click it to run the setup.
- Now, you just have to follow the instructions shown on your screen. First of all, you will have to accept the license agreement and move towards the installation process.
- After the driver’s installation, you just have to restart your computer to make sure the drivers run smoothly.
Alternate Way: Windows Update
If your OS is Windows 10, then you can try going for this method. It is a simple yet effective way of updating motherboard drivers, but people rarely opt for it. Here is a quick overview of how you can access the Windows Update.
- Go to the windows search bar and type in “updates.” From the options, select “windows update.”
- After being redirected to the desired tab, click “check for updates.”
- You will get informed if there are any updates that you can install.
It’s as simple as that, and you won’t have to go out on a limb with this method. And guess what? Even if it doesn’t do the job, you can always go to the other method we mentioned.
How To Check If The Drivers Installation Was A Success?
It is always better to confirm if the installation got completed without any complications. Otherwise, you will face disruptions while operating your computer. Here are two ways to verify if the installation was successful.
Performing Driver Query
To perform a driver query, you have to use the command prompt and enter the code. This method is pretty easy for people with a technical background. But, if you are not familiar with tech, you can move on to the following method.
Manually Finding Each Driver
Here’s a quick way of checking the installed drivers.
- Go to the Taskbar and search for “device manager,” and open it.
- The device manager will have a list of all the components that are present in your computer. You just have to select the dropdown list of each device.
- Now, right-click on the driver you recently installed and select “Properties” from the list.
- Check and tally the driver you have installed. If the installation is successful, you will see a dialogue box with the device status “This device is working properly.”
Now that you know how to install motherboard drivers without cd, you don’t have to pay someone to do it for you. All you have to do is follow our guide thoroughly, and you will get your latest drivers before you know it. So, what are you waiting for? Go and start working on it!